Saturday, April 21, 2012

Backyard Surprise

Look what I found this afternoon in the rhododendron bush next to our porch:


American Robin eggs! Robins built a nest in this same bush last year, and that old nest is still there, if a little worn down. The new nest is neat and tightly woven (at least on the inside), and it also features some fancy plastic in its construction:
 

The nest is just above my eye level, so I had to hold my camera up high and point it at random to get pictures into the nest. This picture doesn't exactly focus on what I meant it to, but I think it looks kind of cool:
 

Good luck raising your family, robins! I hope to hear chirping sounds coming from this bush before too long!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll give an update if they do well. :)

      Delete
  2. Jealous!!! :-) We had a robin family that would return to the forsythia 'thicket' every year - Last spring, one of our neighbors asked if we'd mind if he trimmed the bushes on the 'private' road side as the branches were starting to scratch his car. Trying to be a good neighbor, we said 'sure'. He ended up coming through with a chain saw! We were so dismayed to see the nest on the ground and the beautiful blue eggs scattered and shattered. Mama and Papa robin hunted in vain for their home and family. His 'attack' on the bushes also destroyed a rabbit nest. Good luck with your 'family' - I know they will be safe with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! What a sad story! I'll do my best to protect these guys, and hopefully my landlord won't feel like trimming the bushes anytime soon.

      Delete
  3. On kauniin väriset munat. Kivaa seurata noin läheltä kehittymistä:)

    ReplyDelete