Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Post-Sandy Shore Sights

I went out to the beach this afternoon, and I have to say, I felt pretty guilty as I drove past the many people (with bulldozers, garbage trucks, or just shovels) working hard to clear away the sand and mud that the ocean dumped in front of their houses during Superstorm Sandy.... And here I was, just going out to look for animals on the beach. Guilt aside, though, my trip to Milford Point (a place I've only visited once before) was fun, and there was a lot to see.

(OK, fine, this is yet another bird-centric post. I need to get out to the woods to get some more variety in this blog soon!)

A bunch of dippy little Sanderlings were combing the rocky shoreline, showing off their pristine gray and white winter plumage:


Quite handsome little birds, no?


This Sanderling found a massive mollusc-y meal:


It worked hard to get the food, flipping that shell around and pulling at the soft stuff inside...


Ah! There we go! (Gulp!)


A group of Brant came cruising in for a water landing...


And then floated toward shore:


They even did a little surfing on the way in:


I actually ended up seeing a bunch of birds I'd never seen before, including a flock of Snow Buntings (adorable little white-black-brown birds that flew by too quickly for me to get pictures), and three Horned Larks with their crazy yellow and black faces:


What a face!


So the storm had some lasting effects (some very serious), but life continues, and that's always good to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment