Thursday, October 11, 2012

Blackpoll Warbler

The traveling birds just keep coming through the yard, and our Red Cedar tree provides the perfect place for the birds to hunt for food while I creepily watch them. Today's fancy visitor was a Blackpoll Warbler:
 

Like so many other warblers, Blackpoll Warblers look much fancier in the spring, with the males sporting black caps and mustaches. I think this more subdued fall costume is still quite nice, though. And I'm not 100% sure, but I have a suspicion that our visitor may have been a male -- that looks like the remains of a mustache to me:


And are those a few scattered black feathers on the top of your head, too, bird?


I love it when warblers come to hang out here -- they all seem to have such a good time fluttering around and snatching bugs from the branches. What would it be like to live in an environment where there's food literally all around?


Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Blackpoll, and best of luck on your trip south!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment