Monday, May 13, 2013

More Meadow Birds (Continued from May 12)

Yesterday morning, I visited the meadows of Naugatuck State Forest, where tons of male birds were singing and displaying and tussling and just generally being boys. (See yesterday's post.)

Not every bird, however, was claiming territory and trying to find a mate. These Tree Swallows were already at the baby-making stage!


The male spent some time fluttering around the female, swirling patterns in the air before coming back to the box. Hopefully these two will have a nest full of baby swallows soon!



Yesterday's post was super long, so I don't have too much left to add here. A few other assorted sights to round out yesterday morning's visit include adorable Field Sparrows:


A male Common Yellowthroat (skulking in the bushes and less gregarious than the other male warblers I saw):


A female Black-and-White Warbler (less stripey than the male I posted pictures of last week, but equally gorgeous):


And finally, a soaring Broad-winged Hawk, one of the less common hawks in this area, and one that I've never seen (or at least never identified) before:


Wow, we have a lot of birds around here, and so many of them are awesome. I'm glad I got the chance to see some of these creatures at their showiest. Yay, diversity!

No comments:

Post a Comment