Monday, May 7, 2012

Fluffy Yellow Babies

I can't get over how cute baby geese are!


The Canada Goose nest I found at Naugatuck State Forest last month has now produced a handful of fluffy babies, who toddle around their spit of land while Mom and Dad look on:
 

I want to give these babies a big snuggle (but I won't).... Just look at those tiny wings!
 

Mom and Dad didn't seem too upset at my presence, but after a few minutes, the babies made a bee-line back to Mom, and I started to get the hint that I wasn't welcome:
 

It's OK, I'm going! And anyway, I wasn't going to hurt you, babies. It's probably best, though, if you stay close to Mom until you're bigger -- just to be safe.
 

Some other highlights from today's walk in the woods include this lovely Green Frog relaxing on a bed of moss:
 

A little Eastern Pine Elfin butterfly (Callophrys niphon) on some Wild Strawberry blossoms -- what a gorgeous pattern on the backs of those wings:
 

And [Warning: Grossness alert!] an owl pellet! I poked it apart a little with a stick to see what someone had been eating, and it looks like there are a few small rodent bits in there (two jawbones on the right, some leg bones), and pieces of a big insect of some sort. Cool!
 

Yay, the woods. :D

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I totally agree, baby geese are just the cutest!

    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who pokes around in pellets and poo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many interesting things out there! Sometimes they just happen to have already been inside another animal. :P

      Delete
  2. Great shots of the geese - the little ones are soooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have go in really close to snap those pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a 50-200mm telephoto lens on my camera, so I wasn't really that close. Good thing, too, because geese can get pretty nasty if they feel threatened!

      Delete