Monday, December 16, 2013

Red-shouldered Hawk

I was about to do some laundry today when I looked out the window and saw an adult Red-shouldered Hawk in our yard. Well, I was going that way anyway (we have to walk around the back of our house to get to the laundry machines), so I brought along my camera just in case....

And surprisingly, the hawk didn't fly off as soon as I showed up outside!
 

I tromped through the snow on the path, my bulky laundry bag over my shoulder, and the hawk shifted and turned her back to me but stayed put:
 

(I don't actually know whether this bird is male or female, but "she" just sounds right.)

I've often admired Red-shouldered Hawks -- they're frequent winter residents in our neighborhood -- but this is the first time I've gotten to see one so close. I absolutely love the rusty feathery cape across her back.... And really, yard visitors don't get much cooler than this.
 

Thanks for the visit (and the patience!), lovely creature. Happy hunting, and I'll see you around!

No comments:

Post a Comment