Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Yellow-bellied Sapsiclesucker

We have a female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker who's been hanging out in a maple tree at the edge of our yard for a couple of weeks now. This morning, I looked out of my window to see her examining a rather large amount of frozen sap (let's call it a "sapsicle") on the tree:


Sapsuckers drill wells in trees and eat the flowing sap, so I'm almost positive this is the result of her work. This girl was definitely interested in the frozen stuff, but I couldn't tell if she was actually getting any food from it or not:


Does it taste good? I would probably try some frozen maple sap at least once!


This is actually the third winter in a row I've seen a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker hanging out in this tree, and I've seen sapsicles on this tree before, too. I wonder whether this same female has been coming back to our yard every year, but I don't think I can know for sure. Maybe this particular tree is just super delicious for sapsuckers. Either way, I thoroughly enjoy having this lady around, with or without her funny frozen sap formations. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment