Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Few Beach Sights

This past Saturday, when it was ridiculously warm (high 50s) and feeling like spring, I decided to go take a walk on the beach. I wasn't the only one to have that idea, though, and Silver Sands State Park was hopping -- I haven't seen this many people here since summer!


It was a quick walk, and I have two brief things to share.

First, this immature Cooper's Hawk, who was perched in the trees right next to the path:


Not shown: the small herd of Pugs waddling by on the path below. The hawk was absolutely watching them with interest -- I don't know if it was seriously considering going for them, but in any case, it flew off when the Pugs' people made some noise.

This Northern Mockingbird on a bare Multiflora Rose is probably the most wintery scene I've encountered so far this year -- strange, considering how little it felt like winter on the day I took the picture:


It's fun to take advantage of the nice weather when it shows up!

1 comment:

  1. Nice sightings on a lovely day! You have a really fine place to walk. But it's not right that we don't have snow and cold as yet. Mother Earth needs her winter coat.

    ReplyDelete