Saturday, June 17, 2017

My New Habitat

There's been a lot of exciting stuff going on behind the scenes around here, and yesterday afternoon it all finally worked out. We now own a house! And, wonder of wonders, it comes with land. Here's this morning's view of my new habitat:
 

Our property has about two acres of meadow and about two acres of woods, and it's all surrounded by more woods and fields. I can't believe we get to put down roots in Central New York, and I feel so incredibly lucky to now be able to call this specific place home. It's early, I know, but I already feel like this property is something kind of amazing. I spent two hours there this morning pulling and bagging Garlic Mustard (more tomorrow!) and there was so much wildlife, even just around the house. Tree Swallows are nesting in that old Purple Martin house in the picture, and an Eastern Phoebe has a nest above the front door. A Groundhog was walking its well-worn path across the lawn. A stunning male Indigo Bunting was foraging on some waist-high plants in the tall grass (that's not a bird I'm used to seeing in a yard!), and a Veery was singing from the woods across the street.

This is the start of an exciting new adventure, that's for sure! And there's a lot to do. So if you don't hear from me for a little while, it's probably because I'm off taking care of this place (so it can take care of me, hopefully for a long time to come).

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a wonderful opportuniy to watch nature right at home!, Look forward to your reports!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best from Connecticut. I wish we would have made the move back to the country many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new home, Elizabeth. It sounds wonderful! I've almost given up on trying to control the garlic mustard here. Looking forward to more of your fab nature photo/reports.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy, enjoy. You'll find something interesting every day for years.

    ReplyDelete