Friday, April 24, 2015

A Bed of Brown Snakes

Late last Friday afternoon, I was walking through the yard when I saw something rustling under the dry leaves in a flower bed. It was a warm sunny day, so I guessed there was a snake moving around under there. When I flipped over a leaf to investigate, though, I wasn't expecting to see two snake faces looking back at me:
 

Ahh, Brown Snakes (Storeria dekayi) are maybe the cutest little snakes I've met, and I'm very happy to have them in the yard. These guys didn't seem inclined to move, so I shifted another leaf to get a better view, and hey, three snakes! (Or maybe even four?? It's hard to see how those looping bodies all connect.)
 

I've read that Brown Snakes sometimes hibernate in groups, but this might also be the right time for mating activity. So I'm not entirely sure what I uncovered, but I just love these snuggly little snakes with their friendly faces:
 

I like having a flower bed full of Brown Snakes. :)
 
 

2 comments: