Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Pileated Woodpecker

This picture is from the end of January, so I'm a little late with this one, but I can't let this creature go by unrecorded and unshared. I'm still super thrilled that at least two Pileated Woodpeckers (a male and a female) count the woods behind our house as part of their territory. The female was working on a tree level with our windows a few weeks ago:
 

She's such a big beautiful lady, and I love that she decided to hang out so close to the house for a while! I'll continue to watch out for these awesome creatures as the year goes on.

2 comments:

  1. How lucky for you! What a wonderful treat to see such a magnificent bird. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to see a Pileated! Pretty rare around here.

    ReplyDelete