Monday, July 2, 2012

Stag Beetle

Look at the monster that showed up on my porch last night!


(OK, I have small fingers, so this creature is probably not as big as it looks in this picture... but it was still pretty big!)

This is a male Reddish-brown Stag Beetle (Lucanus capreolus), and when I found him, he was on his back, waving his legs weakly in the air. I offered him a clump of dirt to cling onto, and he obliged. Those mandibles may look scary, but they're basically just so that male stag beetles can fight each other -- and anyway, this guy wasn't moving much, so I didn't really feel threatened.

Those are some very pretty colors you have, Mr. Beetle:


I thought this guy might have been reaching the end of his life, but when I looked out on my porch again later in the night, he was gone. What a cool creature to have hanging around!

No comments:

Post a Comment